Working for Us
It is a very exciting time to work in Barking and Dagenham.
We are an award winning Council and have just achieved the Gold Investors in People accreditation, demonstrating our investment in, and commitment to, our staff. We are also a Disability Confident and a Defence Employer Recognition Scheme employer.
All our jobs are open to flexible working, unless stated on the job advert. (If it is not clear, please ask).
Most employees are issued with a Council lap-top to enable them to work from different locations including home. Depending on the job role, you may work from home part or most of your working week and have some flexibility as to your working times.
Benefits of working for us:
There are a range of benefits available to employees including:
- Pay and conditions
- The Council recognises the value of flexible and disperse working in maximising the productivity of the workforce, and in enhancing the work/life balance for our staff. This covers flexibility in the way people work, in the workspaces we provide, or flexibility in working patterns.
- up to 32 days annual leave
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- support for employees with caring responsibilities
- support for employees who are members of the armed forces reserves or adult cadet volunteers
- workplace adjustments for employees with a disability or long-term medical conditions
Health and wellbeing
- employee assistance programme
- health and wellbeing support (including heath checks, mental health and “revitalised” programme)
- individual health risk assessments as appropriate
- Occupational Health
- Employee support networking groups
- EASE (Disability)
- Graduates and trainees
- LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Transgender)
- STARE (Standing Against Racism and Exclusion)
- Trade unions
Learning and development
- learning and development opportunities
- credit union membership
- cycle purchase scheme
- discounted gym membership
- retail, holiday and travel discounts with our Wider Wallet scheme
- season ticket and travel loans
Find out more about these and other staff benefits in our staff benefits information pack (PDF, 268KB).